May 14, 2013: Ladies Night at Bicycle Village-Aurora, This Thursday May 16- -come join us 7-9pm! I'll be speaking about rules of the road for cyclists!
May 13, 2013: Are you or your friends or family looking for a perfect summer vacation destination!? Might I suggest coming to Golden! Check out this cute condo (not yet furnished, but soon will be!) available for rent starting June 1!
May 10, 2013: It's my birthday! The perfect opportunity to reflect on the past year, the upcoming year, and to give thanks for all of life's blessings! Saw this article and thought it the perfect one to share today. Happy day!!
May 8, 2013: had a great time talking about women, bikes, and women on bikes last night -as part of a women's cycling panel! Listen/watch it here.
May 3, 2013: there's nothing quite like a new bike to make you feel fast! I'm so excited to race this bad boy tomorrow at the Cafe Velo TT!
April 25, 2013: Last night, my talk concluded with the message that cycling should enhance a woman's life, not consume it. It is a sport that asks much of a woman, and tends to reward more, not less. However, balance is key. Over the last 10 years, I've been a full-time lawyer, and/or a full-time cyclist, but my happiest and most balanced years are those when I put the two together. I firmly believe that cycling does change a woman's life forever, in a positive way, whenever or wherever it takes her. #ridethewaveandseewhatyoulearn
April 24, 2013: I am really looking forward to speaking tonight at the Westminster Bicycle Village Ladies' Night event! They've asked me to speak about balance and cycling in women's lives. I've got a great little talk all cooked up! Speaking of, check this out ...
April 17, 2013: I absolutely love this:
April 16, 2013:
This past weekend we raced the Haystack TT and TTT. It was the one nice day of weather sandwiched among 5+ days of snow and cold, so the timing was great! It was an event that many on our team chose to enter, so we had a great team turnout and anticipating this, Rob and I brought the rig, tent, whole setup. It's a lot of work to bring it all but so worth it when everyone has a place to congregate!
My TT did not go as well as I'd hoped. I was given a lot of rest by my coach last week and it backfired on me -my legs were stuffed up and my warmup seemed to hardly awaken them. I took a disappointing 4th place and finished feeling like I wished I could do the race over again, with a 2 hour warmup. After a couple hours of hanging out I warmed back up and raced the TTT with two gals from other teams, Gwen and Julie. We crushed it taking 1st. After 2 races I was toast! So fun to see our TCL members racing the TT and TTT, many learning a lot of new lessons, and stories of excitement afterwards! Please visit our album on FB to see all of the photos of the event here.
March 22, 2013 - April 11, 2013 brain re-wire...
April 12, 2013: (whoops!)
My experiment technically ended yesterday but I missed a few days so I'll post today on this sunny, gorgeous Friday morning. Wednesday I spent the morning in Court downtown and then was asked to speak as a panelist at an event that night at REI. Rather than drive home and back, I opted to spend my afternoon at the REI Starbucks getting work done and caught up on some reading material.
(1) I'm so grateful I don't have to drive downtown every day!
(2) I'm so grateful I don't have to work from coffee shops every day!
(3) I'm SOOO grateful for cycling groups who host informative events like RMCC did Wednesday night -to spark the curiosity and interest of newbie riders who want to try cycling events. Love to see that spark ignite and with it, new cyclists hit the roads and enter events!
April 9, 2013:
(1) I'm so grateful for today's snowstorm and the moisture it brought! *
(2) I can say I'm grateful because I did not have to drive anywhere in the snow -I am so grateful I have a home office!!
(3) I am so grateful for folks who send me referrals. When you are self employed you are so glad each time the phone rings with a potential new customer!
Positive experience: ...
April 8, 2013:
(1) I'm grateful for Monday night yoga -I look forward to it all weekend. It comes at the end of my rest day, a day spent away from the bike, and it kicks off my week in such a positive fashion!
(2) I'm grateful for friends and acquaintances with specialties totally different than mine, so that when I decide to pursue something completely new and different to me, I can rely on their expertise and advice, to hopefully make the right decisions.
(3) I'm grateful for April rain and snow showers in this drought season.
Positive experience: We have a new sponsor of our women's cycling team and yesterday the goodies they sent us arrived. Awesome stuff!! Even the box it arrived in smelled divine when I opened it up! Check them out - Kuumba Made.
April 5-6-7, 2013:
up at 230am this morning (Monday!) couldn't go back to sleep, too much on my mind -so I'm catching up on my gratefuls from this weekend:
(1) I'm grateful for weekends! Especially when I show some self-restraint and can stay off the computer here and there!
(2) I'm grateful for our cycling team -we had 2 wonderful team rides on Sunday, the women's team with coach Kasey and the men's team with coach rob. #awesome
(3) I'm grateful for our church, Red Rocks Church, and service last night, which was the perfect end to a wonderful weekend!
Positive experience: there were so many this weekend! One highlight was that Rob and I were treated to tix to the Rockies game Saturday night from the Mountain Ranch restaurant. Talk about amazing seats and a really great way to experience our first-ever Rockies game!
April 4, 2013:
I attended an all day legal seminar today, way across town on the east side of denver- hence:
(1) I'm grateful I don't have to spend 2 hours in the car every day driving to/from my destination in rush hour, bumper to bumper traffic -staring into the sun each day
(2) I'm grateful I don't have to spend my entire day every day holed up inside where I can't see the sunshine, sucking down stale coffee and staring at powerpoint presentations
(3) I'm grateful I could sit outside on a "Grassy knoll" today over our lunch break eating my apple and yogurt, and reading Bicycling Magazine.
Positive experience: I learned a few new things today at the seminar and it also confirmed for me that I'm so lucky to have wonderful clients and to actually enjoy the type of law I practice (unlike so many other attorneys, who either don't like their clients, don't like their area of law, or both!)
April 2, 2013:
(1) I'm grateful for this spring rain we so desperately needed.
(2) I'm grateful for clients who are willing to take part in the process, and who are willing to invest their time to see that justice is done and a message is sent, to hopefully prevent future bad incidents.
(3) I'm grateful for a trainer I keep in my basement, so that I can hop on my bike, knock out my intervals, and get on with my day, when there just isn't time for a ride outside.
Positive experience: a client and I attended the PTC in the traffic/misdemeanor case pending against the driver, who hit and injured my client. The DA informed us the case is going to trial, and she's hellbent on getting a guilty verdict. My client and I were elated that the DA's office is taking this case so seriously -because it will set a precedent in future cases where drivers think they can behave badly and won't be punished! We are excited to see this unfold.
April 1, 2013:
(1) I'm grateful no one pulled an April Fool's joke on me today!
(2) I'm grateful for my wonderful bible study and the women in it, who make my life better and who challenge me to be better.
(3) I'm grateful for our Monday night yoga classes with Suzanne, right after bible study. It's the perfect start to a week!
Positive experience: a client came in this morning to close out her case and finish the paperwork -she was so excited about the outcome of her case, and so grateful. She wrote me a raving review for my website. It absolutely made my day.
March 31, 2013:
I'm a few days behind -oops! So many fun things happening I forgot to post.
(1) I'm thankful for our friends Gwen and Mike, with whom we enjoyed dinner and catching up on Friday night.
(2) I'm thankful for our wonderful cycling team, with whom we bonded and raced yesterday at the TT in Bear Creek - I love our team!
(3) I'm grateful to God for sending his only son, to be crucified for our sins. We are so blessed by this demonstration of true love and sacrifice. Happy easter!!!
Positive experience: yesterday a good chunk of our team took part in the TT at Bear Creek -Rob and I got the chance to see everyone warm up, race, cooldown and then socialize as a team. It was so positive -we were so proud of everyone -esp those who lined up for their first or second-EVER race!!!
March 28, 2013:
(1) I'm thankful for husbands who, when given the day off work due to low census, choose to spend their day working on stuff and fixing things around my house. Specifically -my husband!
(2) I'm thankful for friends!
(3) I'm thankful for the opportunity to try new things (see below).
Positive experience: There's a "music hall" in Heritage Square, which is the "Creepy little theme park" where our church, Red Rocks Church, is located. Back in the day I guess Heritage Square was booming with little shops and businesses, as well as the theme park and reception hall. Now it is a bit of an eyesore, seeming to struggle for survival. We walk past this theater every Sunday on our way to/from church, wondering what it must be like. Recently I read that, after 25 years, this is their last season. So I recruited some girl friends to check it out with me. We had a blast -the production was hilarious! Lots of laughs.
March 27, 2013:
(1) I'm grateful that my cycling class attendees tonight were really motivated and hungry to work hard -because we all fed off one another and the positive energy in the room was amazing- we all worked hard and got the max benefit from our efforts.
(2) I'm grateful that my legs felt really strong today and I accomplished my workout and also set a new 1min power!
(3) I'm grateful for the spring weather and warming temps, melting all the snow we got and drying the roads so we can ride outside the rest of this week!
Positive experience: A client emailed me today saying, "I trust you implicitly" with regards to the handling of his case. A fellow team director emailed me today saying, "How did you get so good at running a team??? Much respect!" These little notes made my day.
March 26, 2013:
(1) I'm grateful that, after slogging away for several hours at my desk this morning, I had the option and ability to get up from my desk, put leashes on my dogs, and take them for a walk in the sunshine, in a wide open field, with cows moo-ing and birds chirping. No concrete jungle downtown, tall buildings blotting out the sun, smoggy air, and no boss telling me I couldn't. Pure bliss when I can take a break outside with the pups.
(2) I'm grateful that I am able to hire a cycling coach, and that the coach I have knows how to push me and keep me motivated -and that today I WAS motivated as I got on the trainer and knocked out my prescribed efforts. Such a sense of accomplishment and "doing what needs to be done" to get to my goals!
(3) I'm grateful that I live in a neighborhood that is safe.
Positive experience: My accountant emailed me today regarding just a few more small details, which means I'm nearly done with my taxes! Such a relief.
And here's a quote that absolutely sums up what I'm trying to do each day with these 3 gratefuls +positive experience:
March 25, 2013:
(1) I'm grateful that, on this particular Monday, I get to work from home. And get a lot done.
(2) I'm grateful for the sunshine today!
(3) I'm grateful for the repair of a relationship that, at one time, was severed and now the tension is gone and we are moving forward as friends again.
Positive experience: I had an issue this morning with the bank where I do my commercial banking. Instead of losing my cool I explained my position. After numerous phone calls to supervisors were made, the banker finally saw my point and agreed to complete the transaction. Once I returned home I contacted the district manager of the bank, and explained the issue -since it's happened to me several times at this particular branch. I was very polite and asked him to refresh the staff training on this specific issue. He agreed and promised they would be better-trained the next time I went in. Without any harsh words or rudeness, I feel this issue was addressed well.
And then I sent a thank you card to an employee at a different company who ROCKS it every time I ask for something. Because if we take time to complain about the bad, we also need to take time to compliment the good. And she deserves to know how good she is at what she does.
March 24, 2013:
(1) I'm grateful to own/manage my own cycling studio -after 13 years of teaching in others' studios, I now own my own, and I can offer classes when and how I want, and it's awesome to invite others into my space and offer them a workout of my design.
(2) I'm grateful to the members of the cycling team I manage, for their enthusiasm and their hunger and their drive and diligence ... it makes me hungrier and more motivated too. It fuels my fire to learn and to teach. Their enthusiasm rubs off on me and makes me love the sport all over again.
(3) I'm grateful for the snow we got in Colorado this weekend -we needed the moisture, and it makes drought and forest fires that much less likely this summer.
Positive experience: we had another full house in this morning's spin class, but I could tell the motivation factor was much higher than yesterday. Which was good-because we had a really hard workout to knock out. And everyone did -the tone stayed positive, people bit the bullet, put their head down and went for it. It was awesome. Positively awesome. Everyone walked out a stronger, better cyclist as a result of the work they put in.
And an added bonus today - a saying I truly believe in, and embrace:
March 23, 2013:
(1) I'm grateful I did not have to drive anywhere today in the snow-while so many roads were closed and accidents were occurring during the snow storm.
(2) I'm grateful for my healthy parents -both alive, both in good health, and still married!
(3) I'm grateful for my dogs, all 3 of them, who bring me joy and cuddle with me on cold days.
Positive experience: we had a full house this morning in spin class and it was a hard workout and the room was hot and steamy and it would have been easy for everyone to give up or slack off -but folks didn't, they buckled down and worked hard. It was fun-and rewarding -to be part of it.
March 22, 2013 through April 11, 2013: I started blogging back in 2003 when I first began bike racing. As of late, now in my 10th year of bike-related blogging, my interest in posting has "how-shall-we-say" dwindled. In fact I'm shutting this thing down come July. But in the meantime, and while there's not much bike-related stuff going on right now to blog about, so I'm switching gears for the next 21 days.
March 22, 2013 - April 11, 2013 brain re-wire
After watching this video, I've decided to follow his 21-day plan consisting of: (1) listing 3 "Gratitudes" each day; (2) journaling about one positive experience I've had within the last 24 hours; and of course (3) continuing exercise on the bike and (4) meditation in yoga classes and bible study. (5) is a "random/conscious act of kindness" - he defines this as opening up one's email and sending out praise to one person per day.
March 22, 2013:
(1) I'm grateful for a job - I'm lucky to have employment.
(2) I'm grateful for my health -I'm lucky I can exercise and ride my bike and take my dogs on walks -especially after battling chronic back pain the past 2 years (when, at times, I WAS unable to ride my bike or walk my dogs)!
(3) I'm grateful for my wonderful husband-the most supportive spouse ever, who's always got my back and lifts me up when I fall down.
24hr Positive experience: I really enjoyed meeting and conversing with women at the seminar I attended yesterday -hearing about their jobs and their conflicts and how they plan to work through them and tackle difficult people in their lives, it was very empowering. It was a high energy group -I left feeling energized.
3-16-13: GREAT READ on ways to get more women into cycling! Click here.
3-12-13: Moab recap -4 days on the bike totaling 194.3 miles + 4 hours of yoga classes + way too much coffee + lots of quality time with the TheCyclist-Lawyer.com cycling team ... + a few Strava Cycling QOMs and I'm a happy camper. #missionaccomplished
3-9-13: hanging in Moab with my teammates, taking part in the Skinny Tire Festival! Rained out today, so I went to a 2.5 hour yoga class/workshop instead! Sunshine for the next 3 days -hoping for big miles!!
3-2-13: First race of the year --> Frostbite TT. Always super windy -it's on a frontage road just south of the CO/WY border ...not great scenery, but it's a good way to gauge early-season fitness. Read more here.
2-19-13: I contributed to our team blog today- check it out here.
2-18-13: plugging away at early-season training - mostly indoors lately, due to either cold temps, snow or HIGH winds on this side of town. Last Saturday it was warm and sunny but CRAZY windy. So we extended spin class and knocked out some serious miles - love the class atmosphere and energy. 15-20 highly motivated people on Wednesday nights or Saturday mornings who come in every time with game face on and determination in their legs. It's awesome. Tim, a class member on Saturday, snuck in this photo as I was cooling down chatting with a class member. Quite a view from the studio, eh?
1-18-13: Remember this???